There are a lot of useful sources of details about HIV/AIDS in Swaziland. This text is one such however is just not essential a conclusive one. Take a while to learn these 5 highlights as identified under.
1. Prevalence rate- Swaziland’s HIV prevalence price is second highest within the. Swaziland’s prevalence price stood at 38.6 % on the finish of 2007, (UNAIDS, report). New HIV infections are nonetheless recorded in well being establishments across the nation.
2. Therapy- therapy in type of antiretroviral medication (ARVs) is obtainable in each private and non-private well being establishments via out the nation. The medication can be found for kids and adults as a result of there are kids are in want of the medication. Anybody can entry the medication by prescription from authorised well being employees and they’re free nation huge. By December 2007, Swaziland had elevated therapy provision to 25,000 folks (WHO (2008) ‘In the direction of Common Entry: Scaling up precedence HIV/AIDS interventions within the well being sector’).
3. Prevention-The Swazi authorities has launched quite a few initiatives for HIV prevention corresponding to condom distribution, behaviour change campaigns, prevention of mom to little one transmission, and early analysis by testing. Each feminine and male condoms can be found nation huge in strategic locations which is an initiative by the federal government and different businesses. Billbords and adverts carry behaviour change message, a latest and on-going marketing campaign being that of secret lovers ‘makhwapheni’ by NERCHA. Mom to little one prevention (PMTCT) programmes embrace coaching healthcare employees, scaling up voluntary testing and counselling companies and supplying free nevirapine. There’s nonetheless rather a lot to be accomplished about behaviour change.
4. AIDS statistics within the country- the numbers of individuals residing with AIDS on this small kingdom is on the rise. In 2007 15,000 Swazi youngsters aged as much as 14 years of age had been residing with HIV, ( UNAIDS 2008 Report on the worldwide AIDS epidemic) By 2008 the federal government goals to cut back the proportion of kids underneath 4 years outdated who’re HIV optimistic by 30%, which is feasible via PMTCT. The age group between 15-49 years appears to be probably the most affected and AIDS deaths are extra inside this age group.
5. Impression- the impression of AIDS in Swaziland is huge in all components of the nation. It has affected all sector of life however youngsters are severely hit by pandemic. The variety of orphaned and susceptible youngsters as a result of AIDS is projected to achieve 120, 000 by 2010, is at present at greater than 70, 000 these youngsters have misplaced one or each mother and father. More often than not the opposite is mattress ridden and the youngsters drop out of college to deal with their sick mother and father. The vast majority of deaths happen amongst younger folks aged 15-49, the nation’s best inhabitants phase. Significantly excessive an infection charges of as much as 47.3 % are discovered amongst girls 15-24 years of age, and as much as 18.3 % amongst males in the identical age group. Life expectancy at beginning within the mid-Nineteen Nineties was 51 years, nevertheless it has dropped quickly to 39.4 as a direct results of AIDS.