Somebody as soon as outlined public relations as “doing good and getting credit score for it.” One space the place that is very true is in disaster administration. If Firm A experiences a disaster scenario and has a popularity for poor employee remedy, environmentally unsound practices, awful customer support, and a heavy hand with the press, restoration from the disaster – if it comes in any respect – can be sluggish. Because the disaster unfolds, all of those wronged teams will encompass them, desperate to actual their pound of flesh. The disaster might simply sink Firm A.
Alternatively, Firm B has developed robust neighborhood assist by sponsoring charitable occasions, gifting away providers to the needy, and permitting staff to volunteer in the neighborhood. A disaster happens. What occurs? The neighborhood rallies round Firm B. Its messages explaining the disaster – press releases, media interviews, public service bulletins and unsolicited mail – are nicely obtained and the corporate is given the good thing about doubt, and the essential time it must resolve the scenario. The corporate was there for the neighborhood, now the neighborhood is there for the corporate.
So, how do you “do good and get credit score for it”?
To “do good,” be an excellent company citizen:
1. Conduct your small business with integrity and honesty
2. Give your staff time to volunteer for neighborhood teams and charities
3. Sponsor a charitable occasion
4. Fund scholarships
5. Donate money or providers to a worthy trigger
Now, to get credit score for it:
1. Focus your efforts in a couple of key areas to get essentially the most bang to your buck.
2. Select a worthy trigger that doesn’t have already got an recognized sponsor.
3. Inform the media of newsworthy charitable occasions your organization participates in.
4. Use a novel method to fundraising (e.g., a Dunk-the-Boss tank; a automobile rally for UNICEF) along with your firm’s identify as company sponsor. Novel approaches give the media a compelling motive to cowl your occasion.
After all there are lots of altruistic causes for neighborhood and charity involvement, and never each company good deed will or ought to obtain media protection. However the outcomes of those efforts – good will, neighborhood enchancment and the sense of togetherness they foster amongst your staff – are intangibles that may reap your organization rewards many instances over.
Leave a Reply